Thursday, March 29, 2007

Clutch


Two summers ago, I had the opportunity to hike in Blue John Canyon with a couple of friends. Situated in the Robbers Roost area of south-central Utah, this hike involved several rope-assisted climbs and plenty of intense moments hanging on giant canyon walls.

At one point I remember thinking, as I was looking downwards at what I considered to be certain death, that I was a moron. "Why did I allow myself to get talked into this? What if my arms give out right now? I can't believe I'm missing American Idol for this!" (The last sentence was simply blog keyword loading in an attempt to rank #1 in searches for "Matt Harpring Sucks American Idol". Just in case.)

Then I thought, "you'd have to be an idiot to do this alone".

Most Utahns remember the news coverage of one man who did exactly that.


Look closely at the picture. Notice anything out of place? Like the fact that his arm has become a permanent part of the cliff wall?

Aron Ralston had set out for a carefree desert hike through Blue John Canyon in Southeastern Utah when, with no warning, he had descended into hell. The young man's arm was trapped by an 800-pound boulder and he was forced to make an unimaginable decision in order to survive.

Ralston: "And I was hanging from the boulder, from the top of it, where the last good handholds were. And that was when it shifted. So I dropped down here... and the boulder came and it smashed my left hand here, and it smashed my right hand up here. And then it slid down and it actually dragged my arm down and my arm was right about here.

"I threw myself against the boulder, just trying to get my knee onto this boulder, just lifting up, pushing up. But still, it was -- my hand was trapped. And progressively the pain faded as my hand lost sensation."

That's when Aron Ralston realized that he had violated one of the most basic rules of the outdoors. Always make sure someone knows where you are. But in a lapse from his normal routine, Aron had not told a soul. He wasn't expected back at work for days. No one would miss him, and when they did, they wouldn't know where to begin to look.

How he escaped this predicament is nothing short of clutch.

On the morning of his final day trapped inside the canyon, Ralston knew what he had to do to survive. He had to cut off his arm that was pinned by the heavy boulder.

That would be followed by a 65-foot rappel, and one more seemingly impossible task. With one arm, bleeding profusely, starved and dehydrated, close to shock, Ralston would have to hike seven miles out of the canyon in the direct midday sun. Then there would be an 800-foot vertical climb to the trailhead and his truck. The nearest hospital was a several hour drive.

Of course, he was greeted with wild enthusiasm from his family and friends, weeks of interviews, and a book deal to cement his celebrity status. The throngs managed to herald his brave accomplishments while somehow ignoring the completely avoidable circumstances that created the dilemma.

Fear not, Jazz fans. These types of courageous efforts are not limited to the canyons. We have our very own hero.


Forget the fact that he went 1-6 through the first 40 minutes of the game. Just ignore the possibility that it might have been Fisher who couldn't stay out of foul trouble. Who's that guy on the court who doesn't seem to be guarding anyone, but is nonetheless scrambling around like a headless chicken? Oh wait, that was Harpring on Monday. Is that Fisher who is throwing up a running, fading 15-foot shot bank brick over a double team with 15 seconds left on the shot clock? Yes, yes it is.

Forget all of that. After all, Jerry Sloan has. So have the broadcasters. Yes, the Jazz are down by 1 at home to the Timberwolves, which has everything to do with Fisher's "performance". But over the season, the pain of Fisher's play has progressively faded as the fans, coaches, and players have lost sensation. There are only 5 minutes left in the game and the team needs a basket.

Fisher brings the ball up the court, drives hard to his right, and launches a 20-footer. Nothing but net.

Clutch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo. Freekin' Fisher. God I hate him.

Anonymous said...

I'm reminded of Flash Gordon deciding to go down with the ship. "Tell Dale it would've been good."