Thursday, March 29, 2007

THE Harp MLA

Some people can make the claim they saw Michael Jordan in person. Others can say they saw Tiger Woods win a Masters. Many incredible sports moments out there are cherished, treasured, and held close to the heart, whether because of the moment's significance to the game, or because of the moment's significance to the individual.

I can say that I was in attendance for Matt Harpring's most (in)famous MLA.

Cleveland was in town, and King James went off for 51 points. Needless to say, Harpring was on the court. On one play, Harpring got the ball and was taking it to the hole as only Matt Harpring can. As he went up, he raised his arms as if in triumph, and with a flailing of his body he rocketed the ball directly into the backboard. Shaquille O'Neal broke backboards with dunks; this was Matt Harpring's attempt to do so with a layup. Unfortunately, even with his football experience--an automatic signifier of Harpring's superior toughness to Shaq--the ball did little besides shoot in the furthest possible direction from the rim.

I saw Picasso paint Guernica.

I watched Beethoven compose Symphony No. 9.

I witnessed Matt Harpring perform The MLA.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm jealous. Sadly, I missed this event. Someone HAS to have a video copy somewhere. I'll buy you lunch (at Betos).

Anonymous said...

I saw Michael, Magic, and Larry in person.

I saw The MLA in person.

Seeing an artist at the very pinnacle is truly something to behold.